WV Sports Betting - Legal West Virginia Sportsbooks 2024
WV sports betting is legal and live across the state. There are currently eight regulated online sportsbooks, including BetMGM, BetRivers, FanDuel and Caesars.
PlayWV has everything you need to know, including detailed reviews and comparisons based on bettors’ needs, the quality of the app, customer support, and overall sports betting experience. All to help you decide the best WV sportsbooks available in the state.
Best WV online sportsbooks
Snapshot of legal sports betting in WV
Legal WV sports betting has been available as a retail option in the state since 2018 and as a permanent online option since 2019. Here are some details about sports betting in West Virginia:
|Are online sportsbooks legal in West Virginia?
|Yes. They have been legal since 2018 and continuously active since 2019.
|Can anyone play?
|You must be 21 or older to legally bet on sports in WV.
|Can I bet from outside the state lines of West Virginia?
|No. Both state and federal law prohibit sports betting at West Virginia sportsbooks from outside the state.
|Do I have to be a West Virginia resident to bet?
|No. You only need to be within state lines and 21 or older.
|Are there any sports or types of wagers that I cannot bet on in West Virginia?
|Aside from the typical high school prohibition, no. Betting on in-state college games and teams is legal.
|Which online sportsbook apps are available in West Virginia?
|DraftKings, Caesars, BetMGM, BetRivers, FanDuel, PointsBet, Golden Nugget and Betly.
|What is the newest online sportsbook in West Virginia?
|BetRivers launched in June 2022.
Latest WV sports betting updates
Oct. 16, 2023
The operator of the Wheeling Island Casino Sportsbook in West Virginia was recently fined for a self-exclusion error.
Gamewise, the provider of sports betting at the casino, was fined $7,000 by the WV Lottery Commission for emailing bettors in August who had self-excluded from such promotional communications.
The company admitted the error and was fined $100 for each infraction by the Commission.
Recent WV sportsbook news
More on WV online sports betting
Top 5 WV online sportsbook bonuses
You have plenty of choices available when it comes to a WV sportsbook bonus. Here are the best bonuses for WV sports betting.
|WV Online Sportsbook
|BetMGM WV Sportsbook
|Bet $5, Get Instantly in Bonus Bets
|BetRivers WV Sportsbook
|2nd Chance Bet up to
|FanDuel WV Sportsbook
|Bet $5, Get in bonus bets if your bet wins
|Caesars WV Sportsbook
|First Bet on Caesars
Top recommended WV online sports betting apps
One question bettors have when they’re thinking about which WV sports betting app to sign up with is — why should I use this app? Here are the pros and cons of the legal WV sportsbooks to help answer that question and any others you may have.
1. BetMGM Sportsbook WV
- App ratings: 4.8 (iOS)/4.3 (Android)
- BetMGM rewards: BetMGM Rewards
- Strong points: Diverse sports betting options, user flexibility, easy parlay builder
- Things BetMGM could improve: Faster app, one-click opt-in for promos
- The bottom line: BetMGM Sportsbook is one of the finest sportsbooks in all of the United States and offers some of the best flexibility that bettors will find.
BetMGM Sportsbook WV has one of the finest selections of sports you’ll find at a US book. Along with all the typical options, you’ll also be able to bet on more esoteric sports like rugby, snooker and lacrosse. BetMGM also offers flexibility, particularly with regard to open wagers. You can add to open bets, change the parties on the ticket or increase your bet. And when it comes to same-game parlays, it doesn’t get much better than BetMGM WV, especially the NFL.
What BetMGM needs to work on is the speed of the app. This is no doubt one of the best when it comes to WV sports betting, but the app is buggy and not fast. The lag time is noticeable between BetMGM and the other online sportsbooks in WV. And this may seem nit-picky, but having a one-click opt-in for promotions would make it a much better user experience.
2. BetRivers Sportsbook WV
- App ratings: 3.7 (iOS)/3.6 (Android)
- BetRivers rewards: iRush Rewards
- Strong points: Live betting
- Things BetRivers Sportsbook could improve: Better support layout, add same game parlays
- The bottom line: BetRivers Sportsbook is reasonably solid for West Virginian sports bettors, especially for live betting. However, its layout is a bit busy, and the news feed starts to irritate after a time.
BetRivers Sportsbook WV offers a plethora of live betting options, and you can keep track of the games you’re betting on with live streaming. It also has one of the best apps for navigation and ease of use. On top of that, BetRivers WV offers tons of sports to bet on, a plethora of futures markets and myriad wagers available for most contests.
Unfortunately, it might be a bit of a struggle to arrive at this section — or other ones. BetRivers’ app is still a bit clunky, especially with its news feed, which you cannot minimize. And adding same parlay options would seem a no-brainer for BetRivers West Virginia. Hopefully this will get included in the betting options at some point.
3. FanDuel Sportsbook WV
- App ratings:4.8 (iOS)/4.7 (Android)
- FanDuel rewards: FanDuel Players Club
- Strong points: App navigation, same-game parlays and your betting slip
- Things FanDuel could improve: Stop requiring opt-ins, more withdrawal options
- The bottom line: FanDuel Sportsbook may offer the smoothest app experience of them all. It is easy to find the bets that you want.
FanDuel Sportsbook WV stands out as one of the easiest apps to use in sports betting. Its layout is user-friendly and works well for sports bettors of all skill levels. FanDuel bettors can also make use of a large contingent of same-game parlay options. And the betting slip on the FanDuel WV sports betting app is really easy to use and understand. This seems like a “no-duh,” but some could learn from FanDuel on this functionality.
Where FanDuel stumbles a bit is with its somewhat conservative approach to booking wagers. At times, the app may limit those who wish to make larger bets, those who seem to be winning, or promotions that it deems to be too favorable for bettors to use. It would also be nice to have FanDuel stop requiring opt-ins for everything. It would remove another hurdle for bettors to get what they want. What would really make FanDuel even better is a few more banking options aside from just PayPal, online banking and a check mailed to you.
4. Caesars Sportsbook WV
- App ratings:4.6 (iOS)/4.5 (Android)
- Caesars Rewards: Caesars Rewards
- Strong points: Same-game parlays, promotions/daily odd boosts
- Things Caesars could improve: Betting market diversity, live betting options
- The bottom line: Caesars Sportsbook represents one of the top apps in the state and is a solid option for West Virginians.
Caesars Sportsbook WV is notable for its promotional program, first and foremost. Its introductory offer has one of the largest maximums available, and there are a host of odds boosts and other perks for new and existing bettors. One unique feature with the Caesars WV sports betting app is you can stream live NFL games. There only a few games to stream, but his can really add to the WV NFL betting experience.
There are plenty of sports and options for betting at Caesars. However, from a company with such an illustrious history and resources, we just expected … a little more. The betting catalog and what you can bet on seem a bit perfunctory for such a well-heeled brand, particularly with regard to the live betting options. It would also be nice to see some lower-priced promos for WV sports betting.
Full list of legal WV sportsbooks
As of September 2023, there are eight legal WV sports betting apps live in the state.
- BetMGM Sportsbook
- BetRivers Sportsbook
- Betly Sportsbook
- Caesars Sportsbook
- DraftKings Sportsbook
- FanDuel Sportsbook
- Golden Nugget Sportsbook
- PointsBet Sportsbook
Types of bets at WV online sportsbooks
There are numerous ways to partake in WV online sports betting. Here are the most common bet types you’ll find in West Virginia:
Point spread betting
This is one of the most popular bets offered West Virgnia sportsbooks. How it works is the sportsbook estimates the margin of victory, and bettors decide if the estimate is too high or too low. So if you see an NFL team with a spread of +7, you’re betting that team to win or lose by fewer than 7 points.
This is the simplest to understand when it comes to WV sports betting. When you place a bet, you’re betting on which team will win the game. Typically bettors in West Virginia will place these bets on the underdogs because they offer good value.
This is when the WV sportsbook sets the total amount of points scored in a particular game. When you get on this at sports betting in West Virginia, you’re deciding whether the actual total will be over or under that line. This is also called over/under bets.
This is another of the most popular WV sports betting options. When you place future bets, it’s on the outcome of discrete events, like which team will win a league championship or tournament or which player will win a season-long award. This is a great way to test an online sportsbook in WV.
When a bettor does prop betting at WV online sportsbooks, they’re doing so on smaller aspects within a game. One of the most popular is touchdown scores, whether anytime, first TD scorer or last TD scorer. This isn’t on the outcome of the game, but a specific thing happening.
This is a relatively new market when it comes to WV sports betting. But as a game is being played, bettors have various ways to bet what will happen. When it comes to MLB, you can do so on the next at-bat. Bettors in West Virginia can also live bet the spread, moneyline and totals. This is a great way to hedge bets you make before a game starts and it goes in a different direction than you expected.
This is fast becoming one of the most popular to bet on sports in West Virginia. They’re popular because of the potential payout they can bring. But they’re also incredibly risky since everything in the parlay has to hit for the bet to win. So proceed with caution if you decide to build parlay for WV sports betting.
Popular teams to bet on in WV
West Virginia doesn’t have any professional sports teams. That doesn’t stop bettors in the state from cheering for their favorite nearby teams, however. West Virginia sports bettors may enjoy wagering on the following pro teams, usually located in states neighboring WV.
- NBA Teams: Philadelphia 76ers, Cleveland Cavaliers, Washington Wizards
- MLB Teams: Pittsburgh Pirates, Baltimore Orioles, Cleveland Guardians, Cincinnati Reds, Washington Nationals
- NHL Teams: Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Flyers, Washington Capitals
- NFL Teams: Pittsburgh Steelers, Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Washington Commanders, Cleveland Browns
Because West Virginia is nestled between many sports-heavy states, the local teams are varied. Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Washington, D.C. are all near enough to be part of the West Virginia sports fandom.
WV College Teams
Unlike some states, West Virginia allows betting on college sports with very few restrictions. Fans of local universities can place wagers on their teams, including moneylines, point spreads, totals, and prop bets. The two biggest college sports programs in WV are the Marshall Thundering Herd and the WVU Mountaineers.
Advantages of online sports betting in WV
The general notion of sports betting is the same in West Virginia, regardless of whether you do it on your mobile device or in person. You wager on an outcome in an eligible sporting event, and either win or lose based upon whether your prediction comes to pass. However, online sports betting bears several notable advantages over the live version of the activity:
- Live wagering: Betting on a game as it is taking place is almost entirely the province of online sportsbook apps. The speed at which these wagers appear and disappear means that it is largely untenable for retail sportsbooks to offer them. If you want the option to bet after a game is underway, you are likely going to have to bet online.
- No teller lines: When you bet online, you can place your wagers in seconds and not have to wait for any sort of manual process, making it less likely you’ll miss out on a chance to wager.
- Convenience: Live sportsbooks are dynamic environments with plenty of sensory stimuli and social interactivity. However, there’s no denying how much faster and more convenient it is to place a wager through your phone or laptop. Even if we concede the intrinsic aesthetic values at an in-person sportsbook, it’s still going to take longer to drive to such a venue than it is to reach into your pocket for your phone.
- Bonuses: Because you have access to all of West Virginia’s sportsbook apps at all times, you can claim their bonus offers. The books know that they must compete for your business every time you are looking to bet, so they are willing to offer perks to try to secure your loyalty. Live sportsbooks have less of a need to do so, since going to the competition would likely mean having to drive elsewhere.
- Responsible gambling: Gambling problems are incredibly difficult to spot because they rarely leave any physical symptoms and they are easy to hide, due to the use of cash in most live sportsbook situations. Online sportsbooks, by contrast, maintain a suite of control options to limit the amount you bet, the amount you deposit and the amount of time you play. Setting up these restrictions can go a long way toward keeping you from going overboard.
Types of online WV sportsbook bonuses
The terms may differ from deal to deal, but almost every online sportsbook bonus is one of the following types:
- No deposit: This type of bonus puts site credits into your account without requiring you to deposit any money of your own. You may also see these appear as welcome bonuses, as they are typically available when you open a new account.
- Deposit: Deposit bonuses match a portion of your deposit amount with bonus funds. A sportsbook may call this a reload bonus when it’s available to all players, regardless of how long they’ve maintained an account with the book.
- Insurance: These bonuses compensate you for any losses during set time periods or on certain types of wagers.
- Event repetition: Since sports often involve athletes repeating the same motion or action, sportsbooks may offer the option to bet on the number of times a particular event will occur. You pay a certain amount upfront, then receive smaller increments in return every time the event happens.
- Odds boosts: Odds boosts enhance the payouts on certain wagers artificially in favor of the player. The amount of the boost will typically give you a shot to win 10% to 35% more on a bet than you normally would.
WV responsible gambling resources
The unfortunate reality of gambling is that some people will take things too far. Sports betting is often a fun activity, but it becomes less so when you use rent money, grocery money or funds that you need for other necessities.
Legal sportsbook apps will offer control features that you can enact on your account. You can instruct the book to limit your deposit amounts, the amount that you can wager and how much time you spend on the app.
If those controls aren’t enough, there are also several resources available to problem gamblers or their families in West Virginia:
- 1-800-GAMBLER — The Problem Gambling Help Network of West Virginia.
- Gamblers Anonymous — A peer support group for problem gamblers.
- Gam-Anon — A peer support group for families and friends of problem gamblers.
- Gamtalk — An online discussion forum for problem gamblers.
WV sports betting history
Even though sports betting remained illegal in most of the US until mid-2018, West Virginia legislators were already submitting bills to legalize it in the years prior to the US Supreme Court’s dismissal of PASPA. In fact, the measure that eventually became the governing instrument for West Virginia sports betting became law in March 2018, two months before the court issued its final ruling.
West Virginia is technically the third state (behind New Jersey and Nevada) to allow online sports betting, with the first legal app, BetLucky, appearing in December 2018. However, a disagreement between BetLucky’s parent company, Delaware North, and its technology provider caused wagering to come to an abrupt halt in March 2019.
Online sports betting remained unavailable in West Virginia for several months as state regulators worked to ensure that any new launches would remain permanent fixtures. Retail sports betting remained available, but no new apps appeared on the scene until DraftKings and FanDuel launched in August 2019.
Since then, sports betting has continued to expand steadily in the Mountain State. There are now eight sportsbook apps available in West Virginia, and all five of the state’s casino locations offer retail books.
West Virginia online sports betting FAQ
Yes. DraftKings is available as one of several legal sports betting apps in West Virginia.
Yes. All of the sportsbooks that we mention on this page are legal and regulated entities in West Virginia. Each one is accountable to both state and federal law. If you have any disputes with a West Virginia sportsbook that you cannot resolve, contact the West Virginia Lottery Commission, as it acts as the regulator for sports betting in the state.
To start, you can follow one of our links above. The link will ask you to select your device’s format, then whisk you to the download page for your chosen app.
From there, the process is largely the same as it is for any other type of app. Note any bonus codes that you may need, and if you’ve made an account elsewhere, you should have no problems doing so on a sportsbook app in West Virginia.
No. You do not have to be a resident of West Virginia in order to bet on West Virginia sportsbooks. You just need to be inside state lines and above the minimum gambling age.
Be prepared to allow geolocation verification when you log into your account. Apps face heavy fines and sanctions if they allow players from outside the state to play, so don’t expect to receive any kind of leeway. The software they use is quite effective, and it is more likely that you’d be falsely denied service than it is for you to be able to bet from out of state.
You must be 21 or older to legally bet on sports in West Virginia, whether in person or online.
It’s difficult to tell. Each casino can partner with as many as three sportsbook apps apiece, so there could be as many as 15 apps operating at one time. However, West Virginia’s small population and modest revenues may not be enough to support that many books. We’ll report any new options, but nothing prominent is happening right now. One potential WV online sportsbook that could launch in the future is ESPN Bet.