Golden Nugget Sportsbook Bonus Code and Review
Thanks to its partnership with The Greenbrier, Golden Nugget Sportsbook is up and running in West Virginia. And it has one of the best welcome bonuses that you will find in the entire state.
The agreement, which the two reached in November 2020, allowed Golden Nugget to use the third and final sports betting license that The Greenbrier had available. It was nearly a year later, in September 2021, when Golden Nugget launched in the Mountain State.
This review covers everything you’ll need to get started using Golden Nugget Sportsbook in West Virginia, including how to get its welcome offer of a $250 free bet, how to download the sports betting app and how to deposit and withdraw money from your account. Let’s get to it.
Golden Nugget Sportsbook welcome bonus
Just by entering our Golden Nugget-specific bonus code of PLAYBONUS, your first bet with the online sportsbook will be matched for up to $250. The match comes in the form of a free bet, which can be used to bet on whatever you’d like.
Golden Nugget Sportsbook bonus code 2022
|Online Sportsbook||Golden Nugget WV|
|Welcome offer||Up to $250 free bet|
|Last updated||December 2022|
Golden Nugget welcome bonus – the fine print!
While creating your account with Golden Nugget, you simply need to enter the promo code PLAYBONUS when instructed. Then your initial settled wager, with odds of -200 or longer, will be matched for a maximum of $250 whether it loses or wins.
Note that your bet match will be a free bet and not cash. Also, remember that it is the first bet to be settled, not the first bet you place with the West Virginia sportsbook.
While there are a few terms and conditions to be aware of, the free bet offer is a very solid welcome bonus that hopefully will help get your bankroll off to a good start. In fact, it’s better than a risk-free welcome bonus, because with those you only get a bonus if you lose your first bet. But at Golden Nugget you can win your opening bet and you still get the bonus. Talk about a win-win!
Golden Nugget Sportsbook West Virginia promotions
Golden Nugget offers daily odds boosts known as Golden Lines. Golden Lines are usually restricted to $25 max bets, and you cannot use them for creating parlays or round robin bets.
The Golden Nugget app also offers parlay boosts for all parlays between three and 20 legs. Parlay boosts will increase your profits for three-leg parlays by 3%, and they continue all the way up to 20% if you create and hit a 20-leg parlay.
Lastly, Golden Nugget offers weekly missions that you must opt in to and then earn a set number of points, usually 50. If the Golden Nugget community completes the mission, all players who reached the point total gain entry into a drawing to win $3,000 or more.
Is Golden Nugget legal in West Virginia?
Yes, thanks to its partnership with The Greenbrier, Golden Nugget’s sportsbook and online casino are both legal in West Virginia.
Sports betting was legalized in the Mountain State in March of 2018, when Gov. Jim Justice allowed Senate Bill 415 to become law sans his signature. Online casinos, meanwhile, were legalized the following year. The West Virginia Lottery Commission oversees the sports betting industry in the state.
How to create a Golden Nugget account in West Virginia
It takes only a few minutes to create an account with West Virginia’s Golden Nugget Sportsbook, and you can do so via its app or website.
To get started, open the app or webpage and click the sign-up button. Then you’ll need to enter your name, email and home addresses, phone number, birthdate, gender and the final four digits in your Social Security number. You’ll also need to select a security question and supply the answer to it.
Golden Nugget requires this info to help confirm your identity, and you would need to supply it when creating a sportsbook account for any authorized sportsbook in the state.
On the final page of your application is a box labeled “Bonus code”; this is where you enter the code PLAYBONUS in order to receive up to a $250 free bet.
As soon as you have finished adding all the info, just hit “join”. Your Golden Nugget online sportsbook account is all set, and you’re ready to roll.
Golden Nugget Sportsbook app
One thing you should be aware of from the outset is that the Golden Nugget app is a combination sportsbook and online casino. You also will notice that when you open the app, it takes you to the casino. Just click on the sports tab to go to the sportsbook.
Before we get too deep into the app, though, let’s go over how to get it on your iOS or Android device.
Downloading and installing the app
The links on this page will take you to the Golden Nugget site, and from there you can follow the prompts to download the app for your Android or Apple device. Depending on the device you are using, you might need to enter a PIN or use fingerprint or facial recognition to authorize the download.
Downloading will take a minute or two tops, and once it finishes, you will click the file, then select install. Just like before, you might have to authorize the installation. Also just like before, it should take only a minute for the installation to finish. Now you’re ready to open the Golden Nugget Sportsbook app and get to betting.
Navigating in the Golden Nugget app
As we mentioned above, when you open the Golden Nugget app, it will take you to the online casino and also will display your feed. Your feed is basically Golden Nugget’s spot to advertise its latest promos and newest games. Clicking the red arrow will make your feed disappear and clicking on “sports” at the top of the page will take you to the sportsbook.
While not the prettiest sportsbook app out there, Golden Nugget is super easy to navigate through, mainly because there’s not a lot of extraneous stuff.
The bulk of the homepage is dedicated to live and upcoming events that you can bet on. Along the right side are tabs to take you to your account, make a deposit, contact customer support or view your current bonus status.
At the top of the page are links to the online casino, the latest promotions and the cashier to make either a deposit or a withdrawal.
As soon as you start making bet selections, your bet slip will appear at the bottom of the page. Truth be told, it’s not our favorite betting slip out there, because removing selections from it can be tricky due to the color scheme. You might miss it, but there’s a little X to the right of your selection. It’s almost the exact same color as the background, so it’s easily missed. We’re shocked it’s not a more distinctive color.
That little nitpick aside, the sportsbook portion of the Golden Nugget app is a very solid addition to the West Virginia sports betting marketplace. While not the best sports betting app in the state, it still does everything you would want and expect it to do.
Best features of the Golden Nugget Sportsbook app
And now we present to you some of our favorite features on the Golden Nugget app.
- Top-notch customer service: There are myriad reasons why you might need to reach out to a sportsbook’s support team, but one thing remains the same for all of those reasons: You’ll be really disappointed when you try to call or chat if customer support is closed at that time. That’s not going to happen with Golden Nugget’s 24-hour customer service.
- Great banking choices: Another area that often goes overlooked when it comes to online gambling is the number of choices you have for depositing and withdrawing. Winning money at an online sportsbook is great, but if there’s no convenient way to get your winnings, that’s a problem.
- Combo sportsbook and online casino: One of the reasons we really like the DraftKings and FanDuel sportsbooks is because they have daily fantasy sports products, as well. It’s great having one account for multiple ventures. And that’s exactly what you’re getting with Golden Nugget in West Virginia: the ability to have one account for your sports betting and online gambling needs.
How could Golden Nugget improve?
And now here are three areas where Golden Nugget is coming up a little bit short.
- Lack of quality promotions: There’s really no way to sugarcoat this: The Golden Nugget Sportsbook promotions are lacking. Not only does the welcome offer come up short when compared with other West Virginia sportsbooks, but the offers after that are even more lackluster. On the surface the parlay boost sounds appealing (up to a 20% profit boost!), but to get the full 20% boost, you need to not only make a 20-leg parlay, but you need to somehow get all 20 selections right.
- Better rewards club: Yes, Golden Nugget does have a VIP Rewards Club, but just to become a part of it, you need to earn 5,000 Golden Points. And points are much easier to earn at Golden Nugget’s online casino than at the sportsbook. We’d really love to see Golden Nugget have a rewards program dedicated to the sportsbook.
- Have a sportsbook-only app: We know what you’re thinking, “Wait, you just told us having a combo sportsbook and online casino was a benefit. How can you be telling us it’s a problem now?” The reason is simple: We do like having both, but the problem is we don’t like having both in the same app. Sticking with our example in the section above, we like that FanDuel and DraftKings have a sportsbook and DFS product, but they also have separate apps for each. And that’s exactly what we’d like for Golden Nugget’s casino and sportsbook.
Types of bets available on Golden Nugget Sportsbook WV
Below are the sports bets you can place at Golden Nugget with explanations of what each one does. If you’re new to sports betting and not sure what all the bets are, then this is the list for you.
- Moneyline: Bets where you are selecting the team you think will win. Example: West Virginia -286 vs. Pittsburgh +245. The negative number tells you that the Mountaineers are the favorites (of course they are!) and you would need to bet $286 to win back $100. A $100 wager on the underdog Panthers would win you $245.
- Spreads: Wagers in which you’re betting on a team to cover the spread, i.e., win by a certain amount or only lose by a certain amount. Example: West Virginia -7.5, Pittsburgh +7.5. As the favorites, the Mountaineers must win by eight points or more, whereas the Panthers can lose by seven points or fewer and a bet on them would win. They could also win the game straight up.
- Totals: Bets where you are picking if the total number of points will be above or below a set amount. These bets also are known as over/unders. Example: For a West Virginia-Maryland game, the total might be 64.5, so if you wager on the over, you’re rooting for the combined points between the Mountaineers and Terrapins to be 65 or more.
- Props: Wagers that are more like side bets. Often these can be viewed as Golden Nugget presenting you with a question and you answering what you think will happen. Examples: Will Ben Roethlisberger throw a touchdown pass? Will Lamar Jackson throw for more than 255.5 yards?
- Parlays: Bets in which you’re combining two or more selections into one wager. To win, all your picks must be correct. Example: Picking the Cincinnati Bengals and West Virginia Mountaineers to win, and also picking the Maryland Terrapins and Virginia Tech Hokies to lose.
- Teasers: Wagers in which you’re betting the spread, but moving the line for all your picks. Teasers are most common with football and basketball. Example: You wager on the Bengals (+7.5), Philadelphia Eagles (+3.5) and Baltimore Ravens (-4.5) all to cover the spread, but you tease the lines by six points. Now, the lines for your bets become Bengals (+13.5), Eagles (+9.5) and Ravens (+1.5).
- Round robins: Bets where you are combining three or more selections, but in a way that always leaves at least one out. Unlike a parlay, this means you can miss one and still win some money back. Example: You bet on the Pittsburgh Steelers, Ravens and Bengals to win in your round robin, so you end up having three bets, with the Steelers-Ravens, Steelers-Bengals and Ravens-Bengals grouped together. Thus, if just the Bengals lose, your Steelers-Ravens wager still wins.
- Futures: Wagers that are taking place in the more distant future, instead of bets for a single upcoming game. Examples of futures bets would be betting on West Virginia to win either the Big 12 Conference title or the overall national championship in football or basketball. Futures bets also might be for players to win MVP awards, or for teams to win a certain number of games during the regular season.
- Live betting: Also known as in-game betting, these are any bets that take place while games are already in progress. You can bet on everything from what the end result will be to the outcome of the next play.
Sports you can bet on at Golden Nugget in West Virginia
Using the Golden Nugget sports betting app, you can wager on all the top sporting events as well as a lot of minor ones.
Of course Golden Nugget has odds for all NBA, NFL, NHL and MLB games. The West Virginia sportsbook also has odds for college football and college basketball throughout the regular season, and for postseason tournaments and bowl games.
What if you’re a UFC, MLS, PGA Tour, WNBA, tennis or NASCAR fan? Golden Nugget has odds for all those leagues and sports, too. If international soccer is more your style, you’ll find popular leagues like the Champions League, English Premier League and Europa League.
The sportsbook will also have a handful of other sports you can wager on, including esports, which are allowed in West Virginia as long as all the competitors are 18 or older.
West Virginia sports teams you can bet on
Unless you’re brand new to West Virginia, you obviously know we don’t have any pro sports teams in any of the top US sports leagues. But we still have a couple of Division I college teams, and there are a handful of pro teams nearby, too.
- On the college side of things, we have the West Virginia Mountaineers and Marshall Thundering Herd to bet on at Golden Nugget. Both teams are in the Football Bowl Subdivision, with the Mountaineers playing in the Big 12 Conference and the Thundering Herd being part of Conference USA. You can wager on both schools’ football and men’s basketball games.
- In the NFL we have a smattering of teams somewhat close by. There are the Cincinnati Bengals, Pittsburgh Steelers, Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens in the AFC and the Washington Football Team and Philadelphia Eagles in the NFC.
- In Major League Baseball, you’ve got the Cincinnati Reds, Pittsburgh Pirates, Cleveland Indians, Washington Nationals, Baltimore Orioles and Philadelphia Phillies in the surrounding states.
- Moving to the NBA, the Philadelphia 76ers, Cleveland Cavaliers and Washington Wizards are the closest teams.
- And finishing things out with the NHL, we have the Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals and Philadelphia Flyers.
Obviously depending on where you live, even those teams might be far enough away that you have a hard time considering them local. But the great thing about Golden Nugget is that whichever teams you like to cheer for, you can now bet on them from anywhere in the state.
West Virginia futures betting
When it comes to futures betting, you’ll discover that sportsbooks throughout West Virginia may offer slightly different markets. Here’s our look at the type of futures bets you’ll see at Golden Nugget, though they will vary from sport to sport.
- Season win totals: The odds makers set an over/under for how many regular season wins a team will finish with, and you bet on how you think the team will do. Sometimes books will run specials that award you more money based on how well your team does.
- Championship futures: While season win totals are popular, championship futures wagering is definitely the king of futures markets. Here, you’re doing exactly what the name implies: You’re betting on which team will end up winning the Stanley Cup, Vince Lombardi Trophy, Larry O’Brien Trophy or Commissioner’s Trophy (awarded to the World Series champs). There also are markets for which team will win the NCAA football national title and the men’s NCAA basketball title. Most sportsbooks also offer odds on teams to win their conferences and divisions in the major sports leagues.
- Individual futures: The most common markets you’ll see here have to do with players winning regular season and postseason MVP awards. But depending on the sportsbook, you also can find odds for players to lead their leagues in various statistical categories.
While it’s not uncommon to see futures odds posted right after a season wraps up, sometimes you have to wait until closer to the beginning of a new season. It really just depends on the individual sportsbook’s decision.
How to deposit and cash out on the Golden Nugget app
Golden Nugget has plenty of options when it comes to putting money into and taking money out of your account.
First, when it comes to depositing money, your choices are:
- Online bank transfer
- Credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express)
- Prepaid Play+ card
- VIP Preferred
And then when it comes time to withdraw those winnings, you can do so using any of these methods:
- Check in the mail (minimum $300 withdrawal)
- Prepaid Play+ card
- VIP Preferred
- Bank wire transfer (minimum $500 withdrawal)
Also, while nothing has been officially announced, there’s no reason to think that you won’t be able to deposit and withdraw money in person at The Greenbrier, since that is where Golden Nugget’s sportsbook license is linked.
How to contact Golden Nugget’s customer support
Golden Nugget has a great customer service department that is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can speak to a member directly by way of an online chat using either the Golden Nugget app or website.
You can also email Golden Nugget at [email protected], or call Golden Nugget’s help desk at 855-873-1010.
Responsible gambling at Golden Nugget West Virginia
Just like other West Virginia sportsbooks and casinos, Golden Nugget takes responsible gambling seriously. You’ll find a page on its website with information on spotting potential gambling problems and helping to deal with gambling addiction.
One of the great things about an online sportsbook is that you’re able to set limits on how much time you spend there and how much money you are able to both deposit and wager.
If your problem is serious enough that you believe you need to quit completely, you also have the ability to exclude yourself from Golden Nugget Sportsbook entirely.
Where is the Golden Nugget retail sportsbook?
Whether Golden Nugget ends up with a retail sportsbook in West Virginia remains to be seen. Golden Nugget is partnered with The Greenbrier, but that partnership only involves a sports betting app and online casino, as The Greenbrier already has a sportsbook, run by FanDuel.
Is Golden Nugget the best sportsbook in West Virginia?
With FanDuel and DraftKings already holding court at the top of the West Virginia sportsbook hierarchy, we don’t consider Golden Nugget to be the best book in the state at this time.
With online sports betting being so new to both West Virginia and the rest of the US, though, it’s really anyone’s guess as to which sportsbooks will be the best in a few years.