What’s more appealing: momentum, the law of averages, props or a score on the ensuing hole?
West Virginia bettors can consider them all in a wealth of PGA tournament options for the Wyndham Championship, playing Thursday-Sunday.
A strong betting menu greets gamblers every day.
How to Watch:
- Thursday-Friday, 3 p.m.-6 p.m. EST (Golf Channel)
- Saturday-Sunday, 1 p.m.-3 p.m. (Golf Channel), 3 p.m.-6 p.m. (CBS)
Here’s a look at the pre-tournament board and betting options throughout the weekend at DraftKings WV:
Webb Simpson is favored at +1000 to win, +175 for a Top 5 finish and -110 for the Top 10.
Hideki Matsuyama is +1400 to win, +250 for Top 5 and +120 for Top 10.
Louis Oosthuizen stands +1400 to win, +250 for Top 5 and +120 for Top 10.
Jason Kokrak and Brian Harman, who have received little betting attention throughout the season, suddenly find themselves at +2200 to win, +350 for Top 5 and +170 for Top 10.
Betting On The PGA Tour In WV
Here are some concepts for consideration:
- Momentum: That’s an endorsement for Matsuyama, who comes off a second-place finish last weekend at the FedEx. He finished in a dead heat over 72 holes before losing in a playoff. The flip side of the Matsuyama angle: Can he recover emotionally from a near miss?
- Law of averages: Oosthuizen has played well all year and been so close to winning recent tournaments. Is he ready to go over the top?
- Props: How about a new wager from DraftKings giving players the option of any two or three golfers to win the championship?
- Next hole: That’s a bonus bet for gamblers tracking their favorite player and getting a sense of his upcoming fortune. This PGA field should shoot lights out on a course with the winning score usually better than 20-under par.
“The board has its share of big names, but not all of them,” Johnny Avello, the director of race and sportsbook operations for DraftKings, told PlayWV. “Sometimes it’s good for a bettor on this tour to like a player and not have to contend with all the big names. There are a lot of middle-of-the-road guys in there, like the Bryan Harman, who could be interesting this week.”
Will Zalatoris finished 8th on the tour last week. He’s +2500.
The DraftKings Double
Do you think Matsuyama or Oosthuizen could triumph? At DraftKings, they represent a combined bet of +650, which is good value.
There are some props in which any three golfers can win. It’s usually a chalk combined with two longer shots. For the most part, it’s better to take the long shots individually rather than on this wager.
Caesars Sportsbook WV has an interesting twist on this concept. It offers several double-chance options with a key on Simpson.
- Matsuyama or Simpson +600
- Oosthuizen or Simpson +650
- Patrick Reed or Simpson +750
- Jason Kokrak or Simpson +800
- Will Zalatoris or Simpson +800
The options provide more opportunities to cash in, albeit at lower odds. This menu brings favored names into play. It’s a nice wager.
BetMGM WV provides some bang for the buck for Simpson bettors.
That’s because it has Simpson and Matsuyama as the co-favorites at +1200.
After that, it’s Oosthuizen at +1400, while Kokrak and Zalatoris are +2500.
Wyndham Championship Odds At WV Sportsbooks
There is a smattering of big names on the board, but most of the Top 10 earners have skipped this tournament. Oosthuizen, fifth in tour earnings with just over $6.2 million, is the biggest money leader in the group.
Long shots will be live. A few may play their best rounds, seeing opportunity with some of the biggest names sitting out.
Why is Simpson the favorite? Because he’s been knocking on the door of a championship here for several years. He’s been in the Top 5 for the last three years without winning it.
There may be a comfort zone for him on this course.
The top players usually average about 5-under par every day on this layout. Think birdies on ensuing-holes props. There haven’t been too many bogeys.
Think about taking Top 20, Top 30 and Top 40 finishes. There are values.
Sungjae Im, +120 for a Top 20 finish at BetMGM, could be an example.
Weekend Betting Options
There are few wire-to-wire PGA winners (although “yes” pays +1200 at DraftKings); thus, bettors can also tee off on Friday-through-Sunday bets if they miss the early action.
- Individual player matchups
- Adjusted odds to win the tournament after each round
- Updated odds on certain players to hit the Top 5 and Top 10
- Individual scores on the ensuing hole
- Matchups on the ensuing hole