The Masters is no longer just a major prestigious golf tournament.
For Mountain State online sports bettors, it’s now also a four-day wagering festival. It runs Thursday-Sunday from the famed Augusta National Golf Club in Georgia and includes a banner betting menu.
Some major areas:
- Tournament victory bets
- Top 5, 10, 20, 30 and 40th-place finishes
- Group wagers of two and three competitors, enabling bettors to construct a tournament within a tournament
- The winning margin
- Scores for golfers on upcoming holes for all days of the tournament
Here’s what the lineup looks like on DraftKings WV, with the odds updated Tuesday morning:
- Dustin Johnson, who set a Masters record -20 last fall, is the +950 favorite.
- Bryson DeChambeau is +1150.
- So is Jordan Spieth, who scored a PGA victory last week and brings momentum to the Masters. He won here in 2015. Spieth also has a second-place finish and two thirds at the Masters.
- Jon Rahm and Justin Thomas, two of the sport’s biggest names, round out the top-five favorites at +1250.
Golf Channel has listed the following tournament viewing information:
- Thursday and Friday – 8 a.m.-3 p.m.: Golf Channel, 3-7:30 p.m.: ESPN
- Saturday – 9 a.m.-3 p.m.: Golf Channel, 3-7 p.m.: CBS
- Sunday – 9 a.m.-2 p.m.: Golf Channel, 2-7 p.m.: CBS
Masters betting observations
Like golfers eying a target, bettors seek areas that give them an edge. That could mean taking a golfer in the top 30 or top 40 without the fantastic price but with a good chance of yielding a winning ticket.
The hole-by-hole betting vehicle became prominent when gamblers jumped on the Tiger Woods bandwagon during his 2019 run to a fifth Green Jacket.
Bettors can wager on how specific golfers will do on the next hole.
Most holes produce pars. Birdies and bogeys, however, often provide good value on the board.
Augusta has legitimate birdie holes on the second, fifth and eighth, all par 5’s the players may reach in two. An eagle also is possible on these holes and can be wagered.
The biggest bogey threat looms at the 11th, a 505-yard par 4 with a stroke average of 4.35. This distance would become a birdie magnet as a par 5. But as a par 4, it yields many bogeys.
The 12th is a 155-yard par 3 with a putting surface protected by a large creek in front and a sand trap in the back. The 17th and 18th holes, long par 4’s, play harder than they look.
William Hill WV has a litany of props. They include whether Dustin Johnson and Bryson DeChambeau both card 69 or under in the opening round. It’s a +300 payout if they do.
There also is a category for individual winners in matchups of three or two golfers.
BetMGM WV removes the pressure of picking the champion. Just pick the exact margin of victory.
A one-stroke difference pays +240. A correct two-stroke victory call is +400, and three strokes is +600. A playoff is +350.
Past performance: Every Masters between 2015 and 2019 was decided by one stroke, with the exception of a 2017 playoff.